Thursday, January 13, 2011

Minimate Customs: Two Face

So here's my first Minimate custom for the new year.  I'm jumping ahead quite a bit by showing him, but I'm so happy with him I just can't wait.  When DC Direct broke the hearts of children worldwide by electing to end DC Minimates for no good reason, there were several huge omissions from the DCU.  Perhaps the biggest was Two Face, in that we had most of the other major members of Batman's rogues gallery (Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman), but not  Two Face.  Moreover, Two Face's unique appearance was a test for any customizer, certainly one with my mediocre skills.  So I figured that the only way I'd ever get Two Face was to commission him, leaving a hole in my collection... and my heart... big enough for two.

The end.

Well, no, of course not, because I wouldn't be writing this if I hadn't figured out a way to make Two Face myself.  I first began to think he was possible when I saw this hairpiece for the Half Human Terminator, which you'll notice has one side of his hair all mussed up like a certain former Gotham City District Attorney.   Once I started to play around with making decals, and becoming a competent painter, I was pretty sure I could pull him off.  So without further ado...

Pretty sharp, huh?  He turned out better then I could have hoped.  The hair piece works very well, with a little white paint, though I discovered after I had it in my hands that there's a large cut on the left side, which makes it look like Harvey's loosing his hair.  Like the poor guy doesn't have enough to worry about.  For the decal, I fooled around with a couple different things, but I ended up using Javier Pulado's wonderful cover to Robin: Year One #2 as my basis, which I think works really, really well.  I was a little worried that it would look too different from a normal Minimate's face, but I don't think it's a problem at all.  Here's the decal I used:


I had already decided that I didn't want to do Two Face in either of the traditional color schemes you normally see him in, orange/ purple and black/white.  A quick image search for Two Face showed several alternatives, allowing me to believe that I wasn't committing some kind of heresy by painting him whatever the hell colors I wanted.  I settled on brown and green simply because I had matching brown parts, and I hadn't actually used my green paints for anything yet.  But I think it gives him a unique look.  I rounded him out with the hand holding a locket from one of the Western sets, which I think makes a nice stand-in for Two Face's coin, at least until I come up with something better.

As a bonus, here's the other Two Face decals I made, and didn't use.  Both use half a face from one of Luke Porter's decals (the Shield Agent, I think), one with the Pulado scarred side, and the other with details from a Lego custom I found somewhere.  I certainly think the above face is the best, but feel free to disagree.


No comments:

Post a Comment