Saturday, November 19, 2011

Minimate Customs: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I've been meaning to get these guys up here for awhile, so without further delay...


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles


Most of you, I'm sure, are familiar with pizza-chompin', skateboardin', cowabunga-sayin' dudes that were a sensation two decades ago.  Well, these aren't those guys... these are the original Ninja Turtles, from the sel-published black and white comics by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird that begat a phenomenon.  Honestly, I've never been a fan of the Ninja Turtles; I missed the original comics (and have never read them, in fact), and I was too old for the cartoon when they went mainstream (my younger brother was a big fan).  So what lead me to make these guys? Simple: opportunity.


I'm always looking for designs that I can adapt to a decal, and one of my favorite sources is the popular papercraft toy Cubeecraft.  These amazing templates make for just about the perfect Minimate decal, and I've used several over the years (you can find more Cubeecraft-based Minimate decals, including the cartoon Turtles- here).  Well, one the best templates I found was this great Mirage Ninja Turtle exclusive to DeviantArt, and I couldn't resist.  I chopped it up and used an old Ninja Turtles cover for the colors.  Now it was just a matter of putting together their bodies.


Because each Mirage Ninja Turtle is identical save for their weapons, I was able to use body- from the Creature from the Black Lagoon- for each.  I then needed four sets of Ghostbuster elbow pads and MAX Swat Officer thigh pads.   Now it was just the weapons: sais for Raphael from Elektra; katanas for Leonardo from Deadpool; a bo staff for Donatello from movie Gambit; and the nunckaku for Michelangelo from... you'll never guess... the Marvel Universe Ronin action figure.

Overall, I've very pleased with the results (even if I now have a !@#$ ton of useless Black Lagoon parts...). While I wish the Ninja Turtles could be a little squatter, but I think the thigh pad helps with that.  There are also decals on their backs, but I wasn't able to snap a decent picture of them (some would say I wasn't able to snap a decent picture of their fronts...).  You don't have to take my word for it, though....

 And, if you act now, you'll get at no extra charge this black and white version:

No comments:

Post a Comment