Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Minimate Customs: Green Lantern Corps

Hey, did you know this is my 100th post here?  Considering this blog dates back to May 2009... that's pretty terrible.  Oh well.  Might as well post some more Minimates....

The Green Lantern Corps


Like most customizers, I've wanted to add on to the Green Lanterns that were released as part of the late, lamented DC Direct Minimates line.  I've gotten to most of the ones I had planned (the only one I can think of that I've yet to do is Tomar Re, and I'll just be copying Luke's formula for him).  There's at least one guy here that I don't think anyone else has ever done... we'll get to him in a bit.

Abin Sur


Hal Jordan's predecessor is one of the first customs I ever did, and possibly the easiest.  He's just a Red Tornado head on a GL body, with a little red sharpie action to cover Reddy's yellow bits.  Had I known then how difficult GL Minimate bodies would become to acquire, I'd have bought a dozen of them.

Hal Jordan


And here's where that Hal hair went.  I've messed around with ol' Hal a lot over the years; at one point he was wearing this Wolverine jacket, and then this one, but I've settled on this one, and I think that's the keeper.  Don't remember who's head that is, but it sure is handsome, isn't it?


Arisia


Now we're getting to the good ones.  Hal's sometimes girlfriend was tricky only in that it's difficult to find orange arms and legs.  Thank God for the recent bulked-up Things.  Her hair's from movie Thor, which I think works really well, and her short skirt's from First Appearance Dr. Doom.  And yes, it's really short.  But that's comics accurate!  Head and chest are decals, which you'll find right here:


Kyle Rayner

 
Not a personal favorite, but I suppose that no Green Lantern Corps is complete without him.  Kyle was DC's replacement for Hal Jordan in the '90s, back when the big trend in comics was replacing all the old heroes with new ones, so I suppose he's always had a bit of a taint to me (that, and, in an effort to get him over as a hip guy in his first appearance, they dressed him in a Nine Inch Nails shirt-- a purple shirt that read, in white letters, "Nine Inch Nails".  I resent stuff like that).  But Grant Morrison did make him compelling during his JLA run, so there's that.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that his hair comes from Jigsaw, which is really the only part worth mentioning.  His face decal is not by me, but by the very talented TENIME, and you can find it here; the chest's all mine, baby, and you can find it here:


Katma Tui


I think I found a Lego decal for her that I modified for her chest, and her head's just one of Luke's decals with a red face.  So, not very complicated at all.  But at least now John Stewart and Hal Jordan can double date.  Oh, her hair's from X-Force Warpath, which is a great hairpiece which I hope we see again.  Decals, decals:


G'Nort


Saving the best for last... or the worst?  Whichever you choose probably says a lot about you as a person.  I love G'Nort, though.  First appearing during the seminal Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League International, G'Nort earned his ring because his uncle was a bigshot Green Lantern.  Let me repeat that: G'Nort earned his ring because his uncle was a bigshot Green Lantern.  The idea of Hollywood-esque nepotism existing in the Green Lantern Corps is just too brilliant for words.  Or, again depending on your point of view, too stupid.  Certainly, the guys who retconned G'Nort's uncle into being a member of some kind of fake GLC fell in the latter camp.

So G'Nort here's a green body with the Ghostbusters Mayor's vest and the Wolfman's head, hands, and feet.  I cannot possibly convey how excited I was when I realized the formula for G'Nort here.  Just wish he had a tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment