Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Minimate Customs: Making Mine Marvel Part 2

Last weekend I flew out to Chicago to attend C2E2, and more importantly, to attend the first ever Minimate Multiverse meetup.  It was a really great time.  I didn't really know what to expect, since I'd only ever met one of the guys, but it was the most fun weekend I've had in a long time.  Anyway, I spent much of the weekend mentioning customs that I've made but not shown.  So I decided to rectify that, starting with a big ol' dump of Marvel customs.



Nighthawk
A character that's always been a favorite of mine, Nighthawk has never quite gotten his due.  I wanted to make him for ages, but I could never figure out how to make his cool winged mask.  Finally, I came up with the idea of making a decal of his mask, cutting out the winged part, and gluing it to a Daredevil mask.  Pretty happy with how it turned out.  I've used this technique at least one other time, which I'll show off some other time... since I don't have a picture of her.

3-D Man
Bit of a sloppy paint job, I know.  And I'd like to redo the decals.  But I like him nonetheless.

Cloud
Here is one of the stranger characters in Marvel history... a sentient Cloud Nebula which, somehow, took on the body of a hot teenage girl.   That was the Defenders for you.  Anyway, she's just a (mostly) nude Minimate body with some strategically placed cotton.  I guarantee you this is one custom that will never be replaced by an official release.

Quentin Quire
I've never been a big X-Men fan, so I've never made many X-customs, but I am an admirer of Grant Morrison's All-New X-Men run.  Quentin Quire (also known as Kid Omega) was one of the highlights of that run, and I decided to capture him in his original look.  Really like how this one turned out.  I've also made Xorn, but his decals need a do over before I'm ready to show him.

Dazzler
Yeah!  Disco Dazzler!  Man, do I want DST to make this one.  Movie Emma Frost top, Valkyrie's arms, and a bit of blue Sharpie for the distinct facepaint.

Killraven
One more from the 70s... Killraven is a very underrated character.  I used the same blue Sharpie on his chest there; perhaps someday I will replace that with a decal.





No comments:

Post a Comment